Let's face it, babes love #masking and clay masks are a favorite! There is something so satisfying about layering a cold creamy-textured mask on our face, putting our feet up for some relax-time, and feeling that clay mask start to dry!
Try staring at your masking buddy without literally cracking a smile! 😂
In this post, we’re introducing you to all the benefits of Kaolin clay. We'll show you that using clay masks are just one way to use this clay and that it can be incorporated into your beauty routine in numerous ways.
We'll give you a list of kaolin clay benefits and tips on how to use it so that you can decide if it's the right clay for you!
What is kaolin clay?
Kaolin clay is a cosmetic clay rich in silica and with a neutral pH. It's often called White Clay or China Clay and of all the cosmetic clays, kaolin clay is the mildest.
Kaolin clay is typically white, but sometimes may be pink, or green in color depending on the various minerals and or plant materials that are in the clay.
- Pink Clay gets its color from a mixture of the following minerals: Kaolinite, Iron, Illite, Montmorillonite, and Calcite.
- Green Clay gets its color from iron oxides and plant matter.
Kaolin clay has a very soft fine texture. When you use it as a face mask, you will want to use just a tiny bit of water to maintain a consistency that is thick enough to apply to your face.
Great For the Following Skin Types
Kaolin clay is quite versatile and can be used safely on all skin types. Because it is so mild, it's especially beneficial for babes with dry or sensitive skin.
What are Kaolin Clay Benefits?
- How to use kaolin clay as a facial cleanser:
- Add a pinch of kaolin clay your favorite cleanser to give it a mineral boost and cleanse as you normally would.
- Simply apply dry Kaolin clay to damp skin and gently rub in upward motions.
- Purchase a clay-based cleanser like our MERBABE Cleansing MicroPolish which is enhanced with coconut milk, kaolin and sea clays, rice powder and bamboo for baby smooth and brightened skin!
- How to use kaolin clay to clear and detox pores:
- In addition to using a clay-based cleanser, you can treat yourself to a Kaolin clay mask! Mix your mask with enough water to make a thick paste and allow it to sit on your skin for 5-10 minutes and rinse.
4. Skin Soother- As we've mentioned a few times already, kaolin clay is a gentle and mild clay. This and its skin-soothing properties make it perfect to calm skin that is inflamed or irritated.
- How to use kaolin clay to soothe skin:
- You can create a soothing bath with 2tbs of Kaolin clay + 1 cup of Epsom salts + 1 drop of your favorite essential oil. Soak and allow the kaolin clay to remove impurities and soothe your skin.
6. Great Exfoliator- When it comes to exfoliation, you want to use something gentle and non-stripping. Kaolin clay is an excellent choice for those with sensitive skin who still wish to exfoliate. Kaolin clay's natural texture allows it to gently slough away dull dead skin and impurities for a smoother, brighter complexion.
- How to use kaolin clay to exfoliate skin:
- Consider cleansing with a product that combines kaolin clay and gentle fruit acids like our Gelly Gelly gentle gel cleanser. It contains pink kaolin clay and tropical superfruit AHAs to gently smooth and brighten even the most sensitive skin.
7. Tooth Cleanser-There are many reasons why people are looking for alternatives to traditional toothpaste. From wanting a completely natural product or a product that is fluoride-free. Kaolin clay is a popular ingredient in tooth cleansing powders and is prized for its ability to polish and therefore whiten the appearance of teeth. There are also studies showing that kaolin clay, being abundant in minerals, can be used as a natural way to re-mineralize and strengthen teeth.
8. Cleanses Hair- Kaolin clay is an excellent facial cleanser as mentioned above, but did you know it is also great for cleansing hair? Because it's so gentle, kaolin clay benefits dry, brittle hair by cleansing it without stripping natural oils.
- How to use kaolin clay to cleanse hair:
- On days when you just need a touch-up, use a dry shampoo formulated with kaolin clay.
- Consider a no-poo hair rinse with a kaolin clay + water mixture. The mixture should be similar in consistency to an egg yolk. Pour it onto wet hair and let sit for 5 minutes and follow with conditioner.
9. Works as a Deodorant- If you want a completely natural deodorant option, you'll be glad to know that kaolin clay can help! Just like it has the power to remove toxins and impurities from the pores on your face, kaolin clay can detox your underarms as well to stop odor-causing impurities without any harsh chemicals. Many natural deodorants are formulated with kaolin clay.
10. Tones Your Skin- Kaolin clay's exfoliating and deep cleansing properties are what helps to give your skin a more toned appearance with continual use. Regular exfoliation and taking care of your pores helps to reduce their size, stimulate new skin turnover and give you a more toned and fresh appearance!
We hope you enjoyed learning the benefits of kaolin clay! Have you incorporated it into your routine yet?
I’ve definitely used Kaolin clay in my skincare routine, but never knew much about it! Thank you for this helpful article!