So, you're ready to up your skin game and start a skincare routine in 2021?
✨Congratulations!✨ This is the first step to amazing skin.
We all want our skin to be healthy and vibrant! Developing a routine that works for you is not only going to enhance the look and feel of your skin, it will also supercharge your self esteem.
When we practice self-care, we feel so much more confident, happy, and energized.
#selfcare is not selfish! 😍
In this post, we’re introducing you to our favorite skincare routine that's perfect for all skin types, all ages, and for each season.
It's simple enough to practice every day and and can be adapted easily to suit your needs and preferences.
We'll show you how each of the 6 steps will benefit your skin, how often to follow the step, and different variations to try.
By then end, you'll have a perfect skincare routine for 2021!
You may also like:
What is a skincare routine?
A skincare routine refers to the steps you take on a daily, weekly, and sometimes monthly basis to ensure you have the healthiest skin.
It doesn't have to be complicated, and it doesn't have to take an hour to complete!
A skincare routine should consist of 6 basic steps (we'll get to these later) for every skin type, every age, and every season.
You can customize your routine as needed with the specific skincare products that you choose to use.
Before you start a skincare routine:
You should know that healthy skin starts from within!
Although this post talks specifically about skincare steps, we want to point out that it's even more important to eat right. 🥗
No matter how amazing your skincare routine is or how incredible your skincare products are, your skin will only be as healthy as the food you're eating.
Skincare routines are not magic! And if you attempt to use a skincare routine to cover up some not-so-good habits, it will show. 🙈
Great skin requires commitment, not a miracle!
So, before you even start this routine, make sure you're committed to making healthy food choices for the best results.
You can do this! You don't have to be perfect, just increase the whole foods and decrease the processed junk. The simpler you think about it, the easier it is.
You'll also want to be clear about what skin type you have prior to starting your skincare routine.
This way you can properly customize all steps in the routine to best suit your skin needs.
5 Skin types to know before starting a skincare routine
1. Normal Skin Type
- A normal skin type refers to skin that has a proper balance of oil on the surface of the skin.
- Normal skin is neither dry, nor oily, and doesn't show signs of redness or irritation.
- A skincare routine for a normal skin type is the most simple to develop and you'll easily achieve glowing skin with a variety of products.
2. Dry Skin Type
- A dry skin type refers to skin that does not produce sufficient oils to keep the skin feeling supple and hydrated.
- You may notice your moisturizing products absorb rather quickly and you may often experience flaking and tightness.
- Your pores are minimal, and you'll feel the need for heavier moisturizers.
- A skincare routine for dry skin will require special attention to moisturizing and avoiding products that strip the skin.
3. Sensitive Skin Type
- A sensitive skin type refers to skin that is delicate.
- You may experience stinging, or burning with certain products that your besties rave about.
- You skin is prone to blemishes, breakouts, redness, and irritation.
- A skincare routine for sensitive skin will need to carefully consider irritants and help prevent scars and hyper-pigmentation.
4. Oily Skin Type
- An oily skin type refers to skin that produces excess oil.
- This skin type often appears shiny and you typically have large pores.
- You may also experience frequent breakouts and blackheads.
- You may be surprised that a skincare routine for oily skin actually needs to focus on moisturizing because when oily skin is stripped of oil and not moisturized properly, it becomes even oilier!
5. Combinaton Skin Type
- Combination skin is the most common of the 5 skin types.
- As the name suggests, it refers to skin that shows signs of oily skin, dry skin, and normal skin.
- Like oily skin types, combination skin is prone to breakouts and larger pores.
- A skincare routine for combination skin can be the trickiest to customize.
Now that you know your skin type, and you're committed to eating right, we can move on to the 6 steps for your routine!
What are the 6 Steps to the perfect skincare routine?
Our P6 Protocol™ combines 6 simple steps for the perfect skincare routine.
The products you choose, how you layer them, and the frequency of the steps is what will make this routine unique to you.
Lets get started!
Step 1: Purify
Purifying your skin refers to cleansing.
This first step in your skincare routine is the most important because it creates a perfect canvas that allows the other steps to be effective.
When you purify your skin, you're ridding it of makeup, pollutants, dirt and grime, bacteria, and excess oil.
When: You should purify your skin daily both AM and PM. (No sleeping in your makeup!)
How: To do this step, you should know that purifying your skin does not mean stripping it or scrubbing it harshly!
It simply requires an effective, gentle cleanser.
No matter your skin type, you'll know you're using an effective cleanser if it has the ability to deeply cleanse your skin without making it feel tight and dry.
How to test your cleanser for effectiveness:
- The Makeup Test:
- When you have a full face of makeup, use your cleanser to remove the makeup, paying close attention to your jawline and hairline (these are often neglected during the purifying step).
- After cleansing and thoroughly rinsing, take a cotton round, or a white towel to dry your face.
- If the cotton round or towel is full of makeup, you're cleanser isn't working properly. Yikes!
- The Tightness Test:
- Cleanse your skin and wait 30 minutes before doing the next skincare step to see how your skin feels.
- If if feels tight, dry, and or irritated, your cleanser is too harsh.
- If your skin feels hydrated and supple, and it passed the makeup test, you have the perfect cleanser!
Our Gelly Gelly Cleanser passes both tests!
Step 2: Polish
Polishing your skin refers to exfoliation.
Every babe's pores get clogged with facial oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells! 🙈
This step is important for your skincare routine because it will help to stimulate cell turnover, slough away dull dead skin, cleanse pores more deeply, and help you achieve a smoother texture.
When: Polish your skin 2-3 times per week.
How: Use physical exfoliation, chemical exfoliation or a combination of both.
- Why use physical exfoliation:
- A well-formulated physical exfoliant is able to cling to pore-clogging impurities and remove them from your skin.
- Physical exfoliants not only detox your skin but also minimize the appearance of your pores!
- By sloughing away dull dead skin, physical exfoliants immediately improve your skin's texture.
- Why use chemical exfoliation:
- Chemical exfoliation works deeper within the skin to encourage cell turnover.
- It is the most effective exfoliation for preventing and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical exfoliation, like physical exfoliation, will improve your skin's texture and lead to brighter, more even tone with continued use.
Step 3: Prep
After you purify your skin, you need to prep it for the next steps in your skincare routine.
This step helps to rebalance your skin's pH after cleansing, further remove impurities, and can even serve as your first layer of skin-loving ingredients!
When: You should prep your skin daily both AM and PM immediately after purifying and polishing.
How: For this step in your skincare routine, you can use a toner, an essence, or both.
- Why use a toner to prep your skin:
- A toner helps to remove excess dirt, traces of oil and makeup.
- Toners also help to correct and balance your skin's pH.
- For acne-prone skin, toners can help reduce breakouts.
- Why use an essence to prep your skin:
- A well-formulated essence, like this one, can also help to rebalance your skin's pH.
- An essence will offer a hydration boost and smooth your skin.
- In addition to hydrating your skin, an essence will contain a comparable amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are seen in a serum.
- An essence is most effective at prepping your skin to receive all the benefits of the rest of your skincare routine.
Step 4: Pamper
As we've mentioned earlier, #selfcare is NOT selfish!
One of our favorite steps in a skincare routine is to pamper our skin.
Pampering you skin is about giving it something extra to help boost your glow.
You can do this daily, whenever you have the extra time, or whenever you feel like indulging your skin.
You can have a #masknight, treat yourself to a facial, use a facial roller, apply an expensive serum (so bougie right?!), or create a skin cocktail.
- How to create a skin cocktail:
- This has nothing to do with alcohol! Instead, it refers to a unique mix of skincare ingredients and products you make at home to further customize your skincare routine.
- Be careful when combining products, and know your ingredients, as some products don't mix well and may cause irritation.
- Here are a few simple skin cocktails to try:
- In the morning: Try mixing your favorite facial oil with your favorite foundation for an extra dewy look.
- At night: Combine your two of your favorite serums. Niacinamide or Vitamin C + Retinol is a great combination.
- How to use a facial roller:
A facial roller is a massage tool for the face made from jade or rose quartz. These stones are known for their healing properties. They have a larger end and a smaller end.
Facial rollers feel amazing on the skin and are excellent for reducing puffiness and minimizing the appearance of fine lines.
- Use your facial roller along these areas:
- Cheeks & jaw: Use the large end of your roller starting at your chin and rolling up towards your ear. Don't forget to do both sides!
- Forehead: Start in the middle of your forehead, again with the large end of the facial roller, and roll towards your ears.
- Under your eyes: Now it's time to use the small end of the roller! Roll from the inner eye towards the outer corner.
- Eyebrows: Repeat the same step as for under your eyes, but instead, over your brows.
- Crows feet: Still using the small end, roll rapidly up and down on the corner of both eyes.
Step 5: Prevent
The best thing you can do for your skin is to help prevent skin damage which can result in pre-mature or more rapid aging.
We will all show signs of aging, its natural and nothing to be ashamed of or obsessed about preventing! However, it would certainly be nice to age gracefully, right?
Certain bad habits and environmental insults can damage your skin much more rapidly than nature intended, causing accelerated discoloration, volume loss, fine lines and wrinkles.
It's much easier (and cheaper) to prevent this damage than to correct it. This is why a skincare routine is so important!
When: Prevention should be a daily part of your perfect skincare routine.
How: Remember, healthy eating is key! Also sun avoidance tops the list.
When it comes to skincare products, antioxidant treatments, exfoliants, collagen boosters, and moisturizers will all help to keep your skin youthfully glowing.
Best habits to ditch to prevent skin damage:
- Tanning bed use, or excessive sun exposure
- Over indulging on processed food
- Over consumption of alcohol
- Skipping sunscreen (even if you don't think you need it!)
- Not taking care of your skin with a good skincare routine
- Using toxic ingredients on your skin
Step 6: Protect
Once you've taken such good care of your skin, you want to make sure you protect it from environmental stressors like the sun, pollution, dry air, etc.
Protection also refers to sealing in all the wonderful ingredients you applied in your skincare routine so that they stay on your skin, fully absorb, and work their magic.
How to boost your sun protection:
- This is another one of our favorite skin cocktails. It involves combining an antioxidant rich facial oil, with a tinted sunblock.
- Antioxidant rich facial oils, like green algae oil (one of our absolute favorites and a key ingredient in this facial oil ), are loaded with nutrients that help prevent oxidative damage from the sun.
Although facial oils are not suitable replacements for sunscreen, they can be excellent for boosting you sun protection when used with a sunscreen.
We hope you enjoyed learning the 6 steps for a perfect skincare routine! Are you ready to get started?
Leave a comment if you need help with anything!
You may also like:
Thank you! I love this routine and the details presented. I would really like to check out the products you show.
Love the way you presented this!