For billions of years, the ocean has held a variety of nature’s best beauty secrets! Seaweeds, algae, sea kelp, sea salt, sea clay, and even sea water have been used in beauty rituals by cultures around the globe for centuries.
These ingredients have incredible glow-inducing, skin-nourishing benefits.
They have naturally been perfected by the oceans themselves throughout the ages and have provided generations of beautifully glowing skin.
One of the reasons we absolutely love marine ingredients in skincare is that they are super effective and quite versatile in being able to treat a variety of skin concerns. Plus, they're gentle enough to benefit all skin types!
In this post, we're sharing the top 4 skin concerns you can treat with marine based skincare.
One of the biggest problems you face when you begin a skincare routine to clear your pores, is dry skin afterwards! So often, pore treatments tend to be overly harsh and drying and many of us try to fix that dryness with heavy moisturizing treatments that clog our pores further. 🙈
The best thing to do when you find yourself with congested pores is to choose a skin detox product that has the ability to deeply cleanse, detox your skin, and moisturize effectively. Sea Clay, Sea Kelp, and Seaweed are three marine ingredients that are excellent at doing just this!
- Sea Clay- An ancient beauty secret used for thousands of years that has the ability to adsorb acne-causing dirt, excess oil, and toxins straight from your pores.
- It is known for its gentle exfoliating, hydrating, and skin-purifying detox properties.
- In addition, Sea Clay is a mineral powerhouse containing a unique combination of over 20 essential skin-loving minerals all of which are easily absorbed by your skin.
- Sea Kelp- One species, known as Ascophyllum nodosum, is a marine ingredient known to have high concentrations of skin-detoxing vitamins and minerals.
- It boasts 14 vitamins (including A, B1, B2, C, D, and E) and 16 amino acids! These nutrients aid in the elimination of impurities directly from your skin.
- Among its many skin-detoxing benefits, sea kelp also has impressive hydrating abilities to keep your skin youthfully supple.
- Seaweed- One variety, known as Fucus vesiculosus (Bladderwrack), is a seaweed powered with humectants that draw in moisture 💦 from the environment.
- This seaweed also has high concentrations of vitamin E, another excellent skin-hydrating ingredient.
- In addition, bladderwrack seaweed is an abundant source of potassium, iron, calcium and zinc that are wonderful at removing pore-clogging toxins from your skin.
You can add all three of these pore cleansing ingredients to your routine with our MERBABE Cleansing Micropolish!
When you suffer from hyperpigmention (dark spots) from acne scars, hormones or sun damage, one of the most important things to include in your skin care ritual is a product that helps to lighten pre-existing spots and prevent new hyperpigmentation from forming. Green algae is one marine ingredient we love for it’s notable skin brightening effects.
- Green Algae- Also known as Caulerpa lentillifera, is loaded with vitamin C, a skin lightening hero that helps to limit pigmentation production for a more even toned, brighter complexion. ✨
- In addition, Green Algae is rich in pro-vitamin A (Beta Carotene), which provides excellent antioxidant and UVA protection.* This protection aids in the prevention of oxidative damage from the environment that causes and worsens darks spots.
- *Green algae is NOT a sunscreen replacement or alternative, but can certainly boost your sun protection regimen.
Interested in trying a product with Green Algae? It's an active ingredient in our GLOW ENVY Cannabis Glow Drops!
Environmental stressors & pollution
There is no avoiding the effects of our modern day environment that is plagued with countless forms of skin-damaging pollution! Marine ingredients, like Brown Algae, are potent sources of vitamins and antioxidants that help to combat free-radial damage.
Free-radicals cause oxidative damage to your skin cells which leads to atypical skin pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles and decreased elasticity. To help protect your skin from the effects of pollution, consider using a product with Brown Algae combined with other strong antioxidant ingredients.
- Brown Algae- One species, Laminaria digitata, is excellent at fighting free radicals by shielding against environmental toxins and boosting your skin's natural defense system. 💪
- Brown Algae is abundant in over 10 vitamins including B12, C, E, K and Beta Carotene (pro-vitamin A), 18 amino acids, and over 40 trace elements. These nutrients give laminaria digitata its free-radical fighting, anti-photoaging, and photoprotective (against UV radiation) properties.
Laminaria digitata is an active ingredient in our CLOUDBERRY Baby Skin Glow Drops!
Fine Lines and Wrinkles
One of our favorite benefits of sea kelp, seaweed, and algae, is that they have exceptional anti-aging abilities. Not only do these marine actives provide superior hydration support, and have excellent skin-plumping effects, they are also able to stop certain enzymes in your skin that are responsible for collagen destruction.
There are many varieties of marine botanicals each with their own unique antiaging effects. One way to boost your anti-aging routine using marine based skincare is to choose a product, like our MALDIVE GLOW Beauty Essence, that combines multiple marine botanical species in one formula for youthful, glowing skin.
Your Skin Loves Vitamin Sea!
There's a reason ocean ingredients have been used in beauty rituals for ages. They are absolute superfoods for your skin!
We obviously love to use marine botanicals in skincare, but we also believe that good skin starts from within. It's amazing that these ocean foods can boost our glow through skincare and diet.
Let us know, do you like snacking on seaweeds? ☺️
This is so interesting and helpful! Thank you!
This was so useful, thank you! I can’t wait to try these ingredients out.